We could feel it in the air and the weather forecast confirmed it. Rain, today. So we took it kind of slow and finally walked to Largo Argentina for some cat watching in the beautiful ruin and that’s where it really started to come down—the rain, that is.
We decided to make the short walk to see the opulent, baroque Church of the Gesu. I wished we had a better guidebook with us but eves dropping on a tour group helped. This photo is of the over-the-top tomb of St Ignatius said to include the largest piece of lapis in the world.
In one of the side chapels, 2 people were doing some restoration work. Fascinating! Look under the table for the other guy.
As you walk out they have a big mirror set up so you can really look at the amazing painted ceiling without killing your neck.
Came home for a little break, got some pizza from our campo:
Then we headed back out for our 1:30 reservation at Palazzo Valentini. We walked right by it the first time and we were getting a little panicky that we wouldn’t make it on time by we finally found it with 3 minutes to spare. It was a very interesting, multi media show. For the most part, you walk on Plexiglas floors while listening to a recorded explanation. All of it is enhanced by clever lighting, dramatic music and projected images on the actual ruins of a big home from around 4th century Rome. At one point they are showing you a mosaic with lots of sections missing and they are able to fill it in with projection. Cool!
Finally the tour, of about 16 people, ends in a very small theater where they explain Trajan’s column and how they believe this is where his Temple would have been. The whole experience reminded me of something you would see at the World’s Fair or at EPCOT.
Came back to the apartment to dry out a bit and figure out dinner. I wanted to go to a real restaurant for our last night in Rome. We chose Pompiere in the Ghetto—an easy walk from here. Luckily the rain had stopped.
I loved Pompiere. The setting is very old fashioned with well-dressed waiters and well-dressed tables. And the food is totally traditional. We finally got some fried artichokes (carciofi alla Giuda) and loved them. I tried the pasta with lemon cream sauce based on the Eat Rome app; it was lovely but way to rich for me. Ken had bucatini amatriciana, which was fantastic, and he cleaned his plate. Way to full, we sat for a while and ordered dessert and coffee. I was really grateful for the 10-minute walk home.


Last full day in Rome — 5 Comments

  1. Nice to see. We’re on the train for our last night in Rome before returning home, all bittersweet.

  2. Oh the carciofi, now you have me dreaming. Looking foward to the next chapter.

  3. I was thinking the same thing, Mindy. It looks fabulous and I’ll be on the lookout when we go!